Remembering the former stadium of Barcelona - Les Corts

Les Corts (1922 - 1957)Les Corts (1922 - 1957) 12.05.2016: Camp de Les Corts was the home ground of FC Barcelona from 1922 to 1957, when the club moved to the Camp Nou, where they have been playing ever since. During the first ten years of its existence the Spanish club was moving from one place to another. They have finally settled at Camp del Carrer Indústria in 1909. As they were enjoying more and more success and were drawing a greater number of supporters the club decided to build a new stadium – Les Corts.

It was inaugurated on 20th May 1922, the first game played there being a friendly match between Barcelona and the Scottish team Saint Mirren. The original capacity of the stadium was 22,000 seats. A few years later, on 24th June 1925, Les Corts became the centre of fights between the Spanish government and the Catalonians. This was due to a match Barcelona organized to honour the Catalonian association Orfeón Catalán. At first, the authorities denied Barcelona the permission to play the match, however, later, they gave in to popular pressure and granted it. As the band was playing the Spanish national anthem before the match, the crowd started jeering. In reaction to this incident the Spanish authorities closed the stadium for six months (later they eased the ban to three months).


As Barcelona’s popularity was growing, the stadium capacity was increased to 45,000 seats. However, due to a comparative lack of success during the 1930s and due to the subsequent civil war, further renovations were not carried out until the two following decades. Following the club’s achievements in the 1940s, Les Corts capacity was increased once more, this time to 60,000 seats. However, it soon turned out that stadium is too small to meet the needs of Blaugranas, so the construction of a new stadium, the Camp Nou, was begun in 1954. It was completed three years later. The last match was played at Les Corts on 21st April 1957. Barcelona and Sevilla then drew 1-1, the final goal was scored by the globetrotter Ladislav Kubala (player and coach of Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Spain).

THE FORMER STADIUM FC BARCELONA - LES CORTS, Capacity: 60,000


Autor neznámý

Barcelona intended to sell the land, on which Les Corts stood, to real estate developers. Owing to delays in local authorities proceedings it took the club eight years to carry it through. The stadium was subsequently demolished in 1966. Les Corts used to be located in the vicinity of the Nou Camp. On the site of the legendary stadium you can find the Parc de Les Corts today.
 
TheFootballStadiums.com |

Diskuze

blog comments powered by Disqus

Počet zobrazení: 3122

© 2012 - 2017 The Football Stadiums.com | Contact | Conditions |

Recomend

Stadiums and arenas Assia summit

Advertisement